Family Earth Day Expo - Saturday, April 25th
The Town of Huntington will be celebrating Earth Day 2015 by once again hosting the FAMILY EARTH DAY EXPO. Mark your calendar for Saturday, April 25th, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Town Hall Parking Lot at 100 Main St., Huntington. (Rain or Shine.) Join us at this fun-filled event and learn simple ways in which to protect our precious environment.
Special thanks to this year's Co-sponsors:
Covanta, Safety Shred and Trader Joe's!
Here are few things we have in store for April 25:
* Paper Shredding
* Boat Wrap Recycling
* The Green Showcase
And new to the EXPO this year:
Medicine Disposal drop-off!
For more info, call 351-3171 or visit:
Starting in 2015, state law bans some type of electronic waste – televisions, computers, computer monitors and peripherals, printers, VCR’s, games, etc. – from being recycled with regular garbage. It must be recycled.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Call 631-351-3239 to make an appointment for a curbside pick up
- Bring the e-waste to the Town recycling center at 641 New York Avenue, Huntington
- Bring the equipment to a participating electronics retailer
On January 1st, 2015; the Town of Huntington implemented its latest green measure in its comprehensive and expansive recycling program known as “Single Stream Recycling.”
In order to help educate our youth on the Town’s new Single Stream Recycling Program, I would like to invite all Huntington Township Middle Schools to participate in a poster contest that is open to grades 6 through 8.
The winner will have their poster featured in the Town of Huntington’s 2016 Environmental Calendar and the winning submission will also be used as an educational component to encourage local households to recycle.
“Single Stream” recycling means there will no longer be separate pick up days for comingled items, such as cans, glass, paper and plastic. Residents can place recyclables all in ONE CONTAINER on one designated day each week – town-wide.
The criteria for the poster contest will be as follows:
- Open to students grades 6 through 8.
- Students are asked to please register for this contest through their art teacher.
- Submissions should be 8.5”x 11.5”– un-matted.
- Submissions should be two-dimensional.
- Each teacher may submit up to three (3) works, from any one grade level, not to exceed nine (9) works for all grades.
- Art Teachers can register online at: www.HuntingtonNY.gov/PosterContest
- Teachers are asked to please contact Stephen Jimenez in the Council Office for submission collections at: 631-351-3171 or via email to: [email protected]
Registration deadline: March 20th, 2015
Submission deadline: May 8th, 2015